Acetaminophen Poisoning in Pets

It’s a safe bet that you have acetaminophen poisoning in your medicine cabinet right now. It’s a common painkiller for humans, but it can prove very dangerous for our animal companions. Read on as your vet Columbia, MD tells you all about acetaminophen poisoning.

Symptoms of Poisoning

The symptoms of acetaminophen poisoning usually manifest themselves within a few hours of initial ingestion. That means that quick treatment is important! Symptoms include dark urine, drooling, discolored gums, appetite loss, abdominal pain, vomiting, and—without prompt treatment—coma and even death.

Treatment

If you know your pet has ingested acetaminophen, rush them to the closest veterinary emergency center. The stomach may need to be flushed, or vomiting may be induced. Activated charcoal is sometimes administered to help absorb toxins remaining in the gut. In the most severe cases, a full blood transfusion may be necessary.

Preventing the Problem

Of course, preventing the problem in the first place is far preferable to dealing with it after the fact. Restrict your pet’s access to any and all medications in the home, and follow dosage instructions to the letter when giving your pet medications.

Want to know more about acetaminophen toxicity? Call your veterinarian Columbia, MD.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>