Antifreeze Poisoning in Pets

Antifreeze is commonly added to our cars’ engines to keep them running in the cold winter months. Did you know that antifreeze is highly toxic to animals? Learn more here from a vet London, ON.

The Toxic Agent

Antifreeze is often made with an alcoholic substance known as ethylene glycol. This is the toxic agent found in antifreeze, and it can poison humans as well—we just know better than to drink it. This isn’t the case for pets, as ethylene glycol’s sweet smell and taste can even attract them.

Symptoms of Poisoning

The symptoms of antifreeze poisoning include lethargy, nausea, vomiting, excessive urination, uncoordinated movements, and diarrhea. Without quick treatment, a pet can experience seizures, or they may slip into a coma and die.

Preventing Poisoning

Luckily, antifreeze poisoning is easy to prevent. Keep your pet indoors at all times when using antifreeze, and clean up any spills right away. Store the chemical in a safe area that pets don’t’ have access to. And try to choose antifreeze products made with propylene glycol as the base ingredient, not ethylene glycol—it’s far safer for cats and dogs.

Call your vet London, ON for more information about antifreeze poisoning.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>