Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs and Cats

You’re probably aware that chocolate isn’t safe for dogs and cats. In fact, it’s one of the most common and dangerous toxins for our animal friends! Your Columbia, MD veterinarian elaborates below:

Symptoms

Chocolate poisoning is caused by theobromine and caffeine, chemicals in all types of chocolate that cause the associated symptoms. Pets may experience drooling, lethargy, uncoordinated movements, vomiting, diarrhea, and—without treatment—collapse and death.

Treating Poisoning

Treatment of chocolate poisoning may involve flushing the stomach and/or induced vomiting, or activated charcoal may be administered to slow the toxin’s absorption in the stomach. As your dog or cat recovers, fluid replacement, oxygen supplementation, and other measures may need to be enacted.

Prevention Tips

Prevention of poisoning is easy: restrict your pet’s access to any and all chocolate, as well as foods that contain it, at all times. Don’t leave sweet treats lying around on countertops or tables where pets may be able to gain access. Instead, store chocolates inside closed containers, cabinets, or the refrigerator.

For more information on chocolate poisoning, as well as other potential pet toxins that pose a threat, contact your Vet Columbia, MD. We’re here to help with all of your veterinary care needs!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>