Chocolate is one of the most dangerous foods out there when it comes to our pet’s health. Chocolate and pets simply don’t mix! Below, your Livonia, MI veterinarian reminds you about the symptoms of and treatment for chocolate poisoning, and tells you how to avoid the danger.
Chocolate of all types contains theobromine and caffeine, the chemicals that cause reactions in pets. Symptoms include drooling, restlessness, increased heart rate, vomiting, and diarrhea. Without treatment, a pet may slip into a coma and die.
If you see or suspect that your pet has eaten chocolate, rush them to the nearest veterinary emergency room. The stomach may be flushed to rid the body of the poison, or activated charcoal may be administered to slow the poison’s absorption in the stomach. Your pet will likely need supportive measures like fluid therapy or even oxygen supplementation to return to full health.
Obviously, it’s better to prevent chocolate poisoning that deal with it after the fact. This is as easy as restricting your pet’s access to any and all chocolate and foods that contain it.
Would you like more information on chocolate toxicity? Give your veterinarian in Livonia, MI a call today.