Ibuprofen Poisoning in Your Dog

Most likely, you have ibuprofen in one form or another in your medicine cabinet right now. Did you know that it’s one of the most dangerous toxins for your dog? Below, learn more about ibuprofen poisoning in dogs from your Washington DC veterinarian.

Cause

Ibuprofen is classified as a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, or an NSAID. These drugs work by inhibiting cyclooxygenase enzymes (COX enzymes) that cause inflammation and pain. However, when COX enzymes are inhibited too much, things start going wrong—the stomach lining can be damaged, blood flow to the kidneys can be reduced, and more.

Symptoms

Symptoms of ibuprofen poisoning include loss of appetite, nausea, increased thirst and urination, vomiting, diarrhea (possibly bloody), and—without quick treatment—seizures, coma, and even death.

Treatment

Your pet’s stomach may need to be flushed, or vomiting will be induced, once you take them to the vet’s. Fluid replacement therapy and even blood transfusions may be needed in some cases.

Prevent ibuprofen poisoning entirely by keeping it and all other medications out of your pet’s reach—make sure to place medicine in closed cabinets or drawers where pets can’t reach it. Call your animal hospital Washington DC for more great safety tips.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>