Is Chocolate Bad for My Pet?

Is chocolate bad for pets? Yes, chocolate is one of the most dangerous toxins out there for our animal friends! Below, learn more about the symptoms and treatment for chocolate poisoning, as well as how to prevent the issue, from a London, ON vet.

Symptoms

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning may appear shortly after ingestion, or there may be a delayed reaction. Symptoms include drooling, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and––without prompt treatment––seizures, coma, and even death. All types of chocolate can prove poisonous, including white, dark, milk, semi-sweet, and powdered versions.

Treatment

Rush your pet to the hospital if you know or suspect that they’ve ingested chocolate. The stomach may need to be flushed, or activated charcoal may be given to slow the toxin’s absorption in the stomach. A pet recovering from chocolate poisoning may need fluid replacement and close monitoring until they return to full health.

Preventing Poisoning

Prevent chocolate poisoning by restricting your pet’s access to any and all chocolate. Instead of leaving it on countertops or tables, store chocolate in closed containers, cabinets, or the refrigerator where pets can’t reach.

Contact your veterinary clinic London, ON to learn more about chocolate and how it may affect your pet.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>