NSAID Poisoning in House Pets

You probably have an NSAID in your home right now. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are common painkillers, and can even be prescribed to pets in some cases. But too much of them can cause serious damage. Learn more here from a vet Dutchess County, NY. 

Cause

NSAIDs work by inhibiting cyclooxygenase enzymes (COX enzymes). COX enzymes cause pain in response to stimuli, so when they’re blocked, the user feels less pain. But too much blockage of these enzymes has side effects–reduced blood flow to the kidneys and stomach-lining damage, for example. So if your pet chows down on multiple pills, he or she could be in trouble. 

Symptoms

The symptoms of NSAID poisoning in pets include lethargy, loss of appetite, diarrhea, vomiting (possibly bloody), dark stools, and abdominal pain. Without quick treatment, seizures, collapse, and even sudden death can occur. Rush your pet to the emergency room if you know or suspect that they’ve eaten NSAID painkillers.   

Treatment and Prevention

Your pet’s stomach might need to be flushed. In severe cases, blood transfusions may even be necessary.

Avoid the problem by keeping any and all medications far out of your pet’s reach. Call your veterinarian Dutchess County, NY for more tips.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>