Did you know that NSAIDs, or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, are very dangerous for pets? They can poison a pet who eats too much—it’s important that your cat doesn’t ingest NSAIDs! Learn more here from a Rochester, NY vet.
NSAIDs block cyclooxygenase enzymes, or COX enzymes, which cause pain and inflammation. In this fashion, pain is reduced when the COX enzymes are stopped from working. Too much of this blockage, though, can lead to problems like stomach-lining damage, reduced blood flow to kidneys, and more.
Your cat may exhibit symptoms like nausea, lethargy, increased thirst and urination, vomiting or diarrhea (potentially bloody), and seizures, collapse, or even death without treatment. If you see or suspect that your cat has ingested an NSAID, rush them to the emergency room.
Treatment & Prevention
Stomach lavage or induced vomiting may be necessary for a cat in the early phase of NSAID poisoning, while fluid replacement or even blood transfusions might be needed for more serious cases. Prevent NSAID poisoning entirely by keeping all medications safely locked away, where your cat can’t reach.
Want more information on NSAID toxicity and your cat? We’re here for you. Call your veterinarian Rochester, NY today!