Xylitol Poisoning in Cats and Dogs

Xylitol is an artificial sugar often used in candies, gums, and certain baked goods. It’s highly toxic for our animal companions! Learn more about this dangerous substance below from a Lafayette, LA vet:

Symptoms

As little as a few pieces of candy or sticks of gum can cause life-threatening symptoms in pets, such as lethargy, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and—without treatment—seizures, coma, and death.

Treatment

If you see or suspect that your pet has ingested a product containing xylitol, act quickly. Rush your pet to the closest veterinary emergency room. There, the stomach may be flushed or activated charcoal may be administered to slow the poison’s absorption. Supportive measures like oxygen supplementation or fluid therapy may be needed to help your pet recover in full.

Prevention Tips

Prevent xylitol poisoning before it strikes—this is much easier and less worrisome than treating it after the fact! Never leave candy, gum, or any kind of sweet treat out on countertops where pets may be able to gain access. Store these items in cabinets or drawers to block your pet’s reach.

Does your pet need a veterinary examination, vaccinations, or pest-control products? Make an appointment at your Pet Clinic Lafayette, LA.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>