Xylitol Poisoning in Cats

You may not have heard of xylitol, but it’s possible that you have it in your home right now. Xylitol is an artificial sugar used in many candies, gums, toothpaste, and baked goods. It’s highly toxic to cats! Learn more here from a vet Rochester, NY.

Symptoms

The symptoms of xylitol poisoning include lethargy, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and—if treatment isn’t administered in a timely fashion—seizures, collapse, coma, and even death.

Treatment

Rush your cat to the nearest veterinary emergency room if you see or suspect that they’ve eaten something containing xylitol. The stomach may need to be flushed via induced vomiting or stomach lavage; activated charcoal might be given to slow the toxin’s absorption in the stomach. Fluid replacement therapy, oxygen supplementation, and other supportive measures might be necessary as a cat recovers.

Preventing Poisoning

It goes without saying that it’s better to prevent xylitol poisoning rather than treat it. For cat owners, this is as easy as making sure you don’t leave sweet treats or other harmful substances out where a cat could reach! Don’t leave candy, gum, toothpaste, or other potentially harmful items in reach of your pet.

Call your veterinarian Rochester, NY to learn more.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>