Xylitol Poisoning in Dogs

Our canine companions are some of the pets most commonly affected by xylitol. It’s one of the most dangerous pet poisons out there! Your Livonia, MI veterinarian tells you more below:

What is Xylitol?

Xylitol is an artificial sugar used in many toothpastes, candies, gums, and pastry items. It’s okay for humans but is a known pet toxin. Since our canine companions sometimes tend to gobble up whatever they can, xylitol is a particular danger to dogs!

What are the Symptoms?

Even small amounts of xylitol can cause symptoms like uncoordinated movements, lethargy, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and—without proper treatment—seizures, coma, and even death.

What’s the Treatment?

Your pet’s stomach may be need to be flushed or activated charcoal may be administered to slow the poison’s absorption. Oxygen supplementation, IV fluid replacement, and other methods might be needed as your pet recovers. If treatment isn’t administered in a timely fashion, death is possible.

Prevent xylitol poisoning by keeping all sweet treats and other harmful foods out of your dog’s reach. Store these foods in cabinets or the refrigerator so that dogs can’t swipe them off of countertops or tables. For more poison-control tips, contact your vet Livonia, Mi.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>