Xylitol Toxicity in Dogs

Xylitol, an artificial sugar found in many candies, gums, and toothpaste, is okay for humans to consume. It’s highly toxic for pets, though! Dogs are the most commonly affected pet, probably thanks to their tendency to try any food they encounter. Below, your Conyers, GA veterinarian tells you more about xylitol poisoning in dogs.

Symptoms of Poisoning

The symptoms of xylitol poisoning include lethargy, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and—if treatment isn’t administered quickly—coma, seizures, and even death. These symptoms can present themselves within as little as 30 minutes after ingestion, so quick action is needed to save a dog’s life.

Treatment

Your veterinarian may give your dog activated charcoal to slow the poison’s absorption in the stomach, or the stomach may be flushed to rid the body of the toxin entirely. As a pet recovers, supportive measures like fluid therapy and oxygen supplementation might be needed. As with any case of poisoning, the faster the treatment is given, the better the prognosis.

Prevention Tips

Prevent xylitol poisoning entirely by keeping all sweet treats out of your dog’s reach. Store chocolate, candy, gum, toothpaste, and anything else sweetened with xylitol in safe places.

Contact your vet clinic Conyers, GA to learn more.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>