Your Pet and Alcohol: A Dangerous Combination

As you know, too much alcohol isn’t good for you. The same is true for our pets—in fact, alcohol is one of the most dangerous substances out there for your animal companion! Read on as your animal hospital Frisco, TX tells you more.

Why is Alcohol Bad for Pets?

Alcohol is bad for pets for the same reason that it’s bad for you: ethanol. In moderation, ethanol isn’t harmful for humans, but too much causes health problems. Since pets are so small, it takes far less ethanol to start causing symptoms.

What are the Symptoms of Alcohol Poisoning?

The symptoms of alcohol poisoning in pets include disorientation, weakness, vomiting, and—in severe cases—muscle tremors, trouble breathing, seizures, and loss of consciousness. Full-fledged alcohol poisoning can even kill a pet!

What Should I Do if My Pet Drinks Alcohol?

If your pet only drinks a small amount of alcohol (a few sips), they’ll probably be fine. But if they drink any more, let your veterinarian know. Prompt treatment might be necessary! And keep a close eye on drinks, and never give your pet alcohol on purpose.

Want to learn more about your pet’s safety needs? Contact your vets Frisco, TX.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>